I’m sure most of you feel like I do. You feel like this is all surreal…a nightmare perhaps…and that we’re all going to wake up and realize it was just a horrible dream. Tragically, it is all too real. Covid-19 is here and it is killing people, mainly people in my age group and older. (Yes, I just turned 60).
If you’re a young adult in your 20’s or 30’s, you don’t have nearly as much to worry about in terms of dying from this thing, and therefore, you are likely incensed that the restaurants are closed, and you have to find childcare for your children who no longer have school, and maybe your job and steady income is now in jeopardy. I get it. And yet, we must all sacrifice right now, because if we don’t take serious and painful action, it is very likely that many of your moms and dads and grandmas and grandpas will be taken out by this virus. Yes, that is what’s at stake.
So, how do we deal with the fear that comes from this insidious disease…fear of death, fear of financial collapse, fear of a lost job?
First, we do what we must in terms of practical steps that can protect us and our loved ones from getting this disease. We minimize our contact with others, we wash or sanitize our hands every time we touch a common surface used by others, and we definitely self-quarantine if we or our kids are showing any sign of sickness. We have to be smart. These are tough measures, but essential.
Second, after we’ve done all the practical things we can do to keep ourselves and others safe, we turn to the Lord and ask Him to protect us. We ask Him to be in complete control of our lives, our health, our finances, everything. We put all our trust in Him. He has performed mighty miracles on behalf of his people in the past, and He certainly has the power do it again. He can make a way for you to pay your bills, or for some of your bills to be forgiven at this time. He can supernaturally heal you. He can make a way when there doesn’t seem to be a way! Ask Him!
Would you join me in praying these things?
- I have specifically felt led to pray that God would cover every doorway of every believer’s home with the blood of Jesus, so that the angel of death would pass by just as he did for the Israelites during Passover. (Exodus 12:23)
- Pray that God would leverage this crisis to draw the hearts of many unbelievers to Him. I think of Genesis 50:20 “You intended this for evil, but God meant it for good, for the saving of many lives.”
- Pray that God fills you afresh with the knowledge of His tender love for you. When you realize how much He cares for you, your fear will start to fade away. 1 Joh 4:18 “Perfect love casts out all fear.”
- Pray that, as you set your heart on seeking Him above all else, He will provide for all your needs in His own very creative way. Matthew 6:33 “Seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.” (Trust me when I say I have witnessed God do some crazy, creative things in the past when I needed Him to provide a financial miracle!)
- Pray that God would fill your heart with peace, knowing that even if you were to be taken from this earth today, it would be a magnificent upgrade! Luke 23:43 “Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise.”